783 Springfield Avenue, Summit, New Jersey 07901


Summit, NJ Accident Attorneys Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Law

Providing information for accident victims throughout Union, Morris and Essex Counties

At Ventura, Miesowitz, Keough and Warner, P.C., we know that you may have questions about what you should do after suffering a personal injury caused by another party’s negligence. Our firm has more than 30 years of experience in this area of the law, representing accident victims in Union, Essex, Morris and Somerset County and throughout the State, in a wide range of cases. We can help answer all of your questions.

Following are answers to some of the most common questions our clients ask us. For more information about how we can help with your personal injury case, contact us.

Common questions asked about personal injury cases

Contact a diligent Summit accident lawyer to learn more

If you have further questions about your options after an injury, speak with the experienced personal injury lawyers at Ventura, Miesowitz, Keough and Warner, P.C. You can reach us at our conveniently located Summit office by calling 908-277-2410 or contacting us online. We offer free initial consultations and you pay no attorney’s fees unless we win your case. We provide office hours on evenings and weekends by appointment and can travel to your home or hospital room if you cannot come to us. Our office is accessible via Routes 24, 78, 287 and the Garden State Parkway. Our personal injury attorneys have served the residents of Summit, New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Westfield, Chatham and Madison, as well as injured persons in every County throughout the State of New Jersey.

Personal injury

How do you determine fault for an accident or injury?

Proving who is at fault is the most important aspect of any personal injury case. To do this, we thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to determine if another party should have taken reasonable measures to prevent an injury from taking place. In many cases, this may involve our seeking the opinion of skilled expert witnesses and investigators retained by our firm.

Back to top

What does it mean to be “negligent”?

According to the law, homeowners, property owners and businesses must act with reasonable care to prevent others from suffering injuries. If someone fails to use reasonable care, he or she is negligent. To recover compensation for you, a personal injury attorney must prove that someone was negligent and that this negligence resulted directly in your injury.

Back to top

What should I do after an auto accident?

Immediately seek medical attention to document and treat any injuries. You should also be sure to collect the other drivers’ contact and insurance information. Never admit any fault for the accident, as it may be used against you to prevent you from getting fair compensation.

Back to top

What are punitive damages?

In addition to compensation for your pain and suffering, punitive damages may be recovered for an injury caused by an intentional act, such as an assault. Punitive damages are intended to punish individuals who commit egregious acts, so that no one else suffers from their intentional misconduct in the future. Speak to an attorney at our Summit personal injury law firm to learn more.

Back to top

How long should I wait before notifying my employer of a workplace injury?

You should waste no time in reporting an accident to your employer, even if your injury appears minor or you don’t immediately feel the effects. By doing so, you maintain a record of the incident, which will help in the future if you must make a worker’s compensation claim. You should also try to get authorization to seek medical attention right away for any injury sustained while on the job to document your complaints.

Back to top